Pages

Thursday, December 17, 2009

When Groundhog Day Turns into a Day of Significance

It seems like yesterday that I was taking my 3 year old boy to kindy for his very first day.

He was so shy and reserved and clinging to my legs.  I know he didn't want to let me go, and I most certainly didn't want to let him go.  But I did, I had to.  I walked out so quickly without a backward glance and as soon as I shut the car door, the tears came.  He didn't cry, he was very brave, but I knew he was nervous, scared even.

Tomorrow I'm taking him for his very last day.


How did that happen?  Where did the time go??

For two years, two days a week, we've been taking him to kindy.  And due to the caring nature of the staff and the happy, peaceful environment of the lovliest kindy in town (well, I believe it is), our shy boy 'came out of his shell'.  He grew in confidence, he learned to mix well with other kids and he was happy.  My boy (and I!) will miss kindy.

Tomorrow is a last day, and in the very near future we'll be having another first day.  His first day of school.  I've been preparing him for a long time (as I did before he started kindy).  I constantly talk of his new school, point it out happily as we drive past, read stories about starting school, suggest to him what he might learn and who he might play with.  But he is nervous.  Only this week after his bedtime story he said to me for the first time, "Mummy, I'm scared to go to Prep."  My heart squeezed, my eyes felt the burning of held back tears.  I'm not good with change and my boy is a lot like me.  But I'm trying so hard to be positive for him, stay strong and not show my nerves.  I know he'll be fine.  It's a great school, he knows some kids in his class, I used to work with his teacher.  It's just those first few days or weeks...  Once we get past them, we'll both be good, I know it.

Most days seem like groundhog day, but all of a sudden you get to a day of significance.  A first day or a last day, days you'll never forget.  They sure make me appreciate my groundhog days!!

4 comments:

  1. Aww, I'm sure he'll be fine and how unlike Petal who turned to me the other day and said "Mama, when I start Prep can you just drop me off at the gate," Ummm, no Petal, I can not. Sheesh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am exactly like you. I cry at the start of the year. I cry at the end of the year. And now I'm crying over your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Today is my babies last day at their current school - I too am not good at change - much empathy and hugs. I'm crying too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Teary here too. I just said goodbye to my kinder class, and to some families... I miss them already. I also had to thank the BEST teacher my own son has ever had. It's bitter sweet isn't it? All this change, where does the time go?

    ReplyDelete

Just one little comment will make my day.