Pages

Monday, March 22, 2010

Same Place Different Time

You may have seen the 99 Things list that I posted a couple of weeks ago.  I've really enjoyed reading other people's lists and as I read Megan's this morning it reminded me of something.

She said she has seen the Leaning Tower of Pisa (and has the cheesy photo to prove it)...and so do I.

This reminded me that when I was overseas I was very conscience of the fact that a lot of friends had been in the same place that I was at that moment, at a different time.  And it made me wonder if we somehow leave a small part of the essence of ourselves in the places we visit.

Then this morning as I read Megan's post I felt some kind of added connection with her as we have visited quite a few of the same places.

And then I had this idea...if you have any cheesy (or non-cheesy) photos of yourself in famous places that possibly a lot of us may have visited, how about posting them so we can all see what places in common we have visited.  Who's in?  Here are mine (I have way more cheesy than non-cheesy, sorry about that!).  I'll be so excited if I see you in a photo similar to mine.

Florence - Piazzale Michelangelo (2000)

Nice (2000)

Pisa - I am supposed to be holding it up with my finger but the guy behind the camera was off. (2000)

Florence - Ponte Vecchio (2002)

Florence - Piazza della Signoria (2002)

London - Tower of London (2002)

London - Buckingham Palace (2002)

London - Millennium Bridge...I was too cold to turn around & pose! (2002)

Lyon (2002)

Paris - Inside the Louvre (2002)

Paris - The Mona Lisa in the Louvre (2002)

Paris - Rodin Museum (2002)

Paris (2002)

Venice (2002)

Vienna (2002)

Rome - Spanish Steps, yes that dot on the fence is me! (2003)

Rome - The Colosseum (2003)



7 comments:

  1. I saw your comment on my post and have been very curious about what you'd do! And I love this idea - I'll find some pics soon and post them and let you know... I've been to a few of the same places, but am envious of some (like Nice and spots in Florence other than the queue to see David... *sigh*).

    I love that about travelling too - that you're in the same place that millions of people before you have stood. Everyone's stories are right there in that spot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh my. love love love love love the pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't been to any, but seeing your photos I want to!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Making me wish I'd been overseas:p

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh wow, I was in a lot of the same places in 2002. How bizarre!

    I'm still in the process of scanning my negatives, but will hopefully be posting some more photos soon. I'll try and find the cheesiest ones for you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful!

    I especially love the Millennium Bridge photo as my office is right behind the Tate Modern, so every time I see a picture I squeal with delight in telling said photo owner that I work near there.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great photo's. I haven't been to Europe so can't compare. I will be over that way in September so I'll see what I can do :-)

    ReplyDelete

Just one little comment will make my day.