Pages

Sunday, May 29, 2011

Not a Happy Camper

I am not one who loves to camp.
I sometimes wish I was.
I am almost jealous of the way campers speak about camping with such joy...almost...
On a scale of 1 - 10 of things I want to do, it rates as... -1.
It's just that I'm a minimal effort kind of person, and to me it seems camping requires maximum effort x 100.
I have been camping, well I have slept in a tent, I think 4ish times before.

So when my husband suggested we sleep in a tent in his mate's backyard after his 40th birthday party...I tweeted this...

When Hubba suggested we sleep over in.a.tent. at his friend's 40th this weekend I gave him the don't-be-ridiculous look....

Did I mention that this would be the first time EVER that we have left both children overnight with anyone?
Did I mention that this would be the first time we'd been out, without children, together, as a couple, not as parents, in 18 months??

This was my Facebook status on Friday night...
We are going to a party tomorrow night...without the kids...I am ridiculously excited about it!
So I agreed to the tent thing.

The party hosts kept telling us all night not to be silly, there was plenty of floor space inside the warm house!
Party guests gave me lots of are-you-nuts looks.
But my husband lovingly prepared and feathered the nest tent right beside our car in a very cosy spot in the garden.

And you know what?

When you've had a lovely evening chatting with old friends and being ever so thankful that you haven't forgotten how to be a social being...
When you've had a couple more than a couple of wines in plastic goblets...
When you've sat in front of this until it's late and almost everyone else has gone home or gone to bed...


It was really nice being able to stumble casually amble out to this...


I did have a good giggle and wondered what I was thinking for a moment...but...
It was comfy, it was cozy, it was warm.

We weren't nuts!
It was fun!

And...I was a very happy camper!

12 comments:

  1. Glad to hear you had fun love camping myself.

    (((( Hugs )))) XXXX Kisses XXXX

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, you've tried it and liked it, so are you going to try it again?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Perfect comfort camping Thea! So glad you had a good time...xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's probably the ONLY way I'd camp. In someone's garden, with a coffee machine, toilet and shower inside.

    Smart cookie, Thea. Not just a pretty face. :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha! I love this Thea! Good on your for stepping outside your comfort zone... into your 'not so' comfortable zone! I agree, camping to me is just too much hard work and too fraught with potential disaster. Give me a resort or hotel with all the mod con's any day.
    BUT it does sound (and look) like you had a great time and that is all that matters.
    You & your hubby sound like my hubby & I. We have only ever spent one full night away from our eldest son and never spent a night away from both boys. Hubby has spent his fair share away with work & golf weekends. But I just don't like leaving my boys overnight at this stage. They're only babies after all.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You had fun bet you will be taking the children camping in years to come. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yay! I'm so glad you had a good time. I'm not much of a camper either. I've had far too many bad experiences at school camps. I'm a big fan of "glamping" though (aka glam camping)... I love sleeping in tents, as long as there are toilets nearby and a kettle to make cups of tea. And as long as the weather is nice! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh I'm with Melissa on this one. I would only camp in some one's backyard with all the ammenities just a short walk away inside the house.
    We did go camping once in the mountains. I nearly froze to death. And the camp site toilets smelled so bad it turned my stomach.
    But it does sound like you had fun, Thea

    ReplyDelete
  9. I haven't been camping in YEARS but I'd like to. I am someone who loves their creature comforts but I do have a real fondness for the great outdoors and the old heating a brick up near a fire, wrapping it in a towel and popping it in the bottom of my sleeping bag to warm it up. That kind of stuff makes camping special. Glad you ended up having a good time x

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just love that you slept in a tent at a friend's party. LOVE IT.
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. omgoodness....I'm a terrible camper. looks like you had a nice evening. glad I found your page....I love aqua's Barbie Girl.

    newest follower

    ReplyDelete
  12. that's hillarious!! No way! I would have driven the 1.5 hrs to my comfy bed.
    Glad you had a good night
    xx

    ReplyDelete

Just one little comment will make my day.