Pages

Thursday, October 13, 2011

Being Catholic



As I stood on playground duty today, looking up at the "Heritage Building" at school, and the church, I was struck by the crosses on the roof.

I swear I was also watching the kids, I can multi-task...be on duty and day dream...I'm good at that!

The crosses struck a chord with me because I was hit with a very forceful realization that I love being 'A Catholic'.

I do not for one moment profess to be a 'Good Catholic' (and only Catholics will really understand what that means).

I never went to a Catholic school. But until I left home at 18 I went to Mass with my family every weekend.

I did go to a Catholic teachers' college...now it is a university.
It was called McAuley College way back when I was one of its students.
Now it is Australian Catholic University...or ACU.

And that was the first time in all of my schooling that I felt at home.
It was a perfect fit for me.
I finally felt like I fitted in.
I'd never felt that before.

And in every Catholic School that I taught at thereafter (six so far) I've felt the same thing.
I belong.
I fit.
I'm home.

I don't go Mass every weekend anymore.
But I do love being in the church.
Being Catholic is a huge part of who I am.

I may look like a part-time Catholic.
But on the inside, I'm 100% full-time Catholic.
And I'm very proud of that.

6 comments:

  1. Very nice Thea!My girls were raised catholic and went to a catholic private school from kindergaten to 12th grade.My husband was catholic.Iam a greek orthodox so I was raised in the greek church.

    Your blog was refreshing to hear,many people wont touch religion but I think if its not a soap box message its good.


    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds like a wonderful experience you had today which led to this blog post. I get everything you said.
    It keeps us grounded and real to acknowledge what we feel in a public space like your blog.

    Have a wonderful Friday. You did it-2weeks!


    ps I hate playground duty because I am too cautious

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've only ever worked in Catholic or Christian schools (currently Uniting Church) and I love it too.
    Worship services at school are one of the highlights of my week.
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay Thea I LOVE it too! I think we're all part time Catholics in a way though, and that's ok ;)

    I also often send a thought up via the crosses on the church roof while watching my kids on the school playground - so nice to know I'm not the only one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I grew up catholic and attended Catholic Kinder to Year 12. Until I was quite an older child around 10 or 11, I actually just thought that everyone was Catholic.

    I have great memories of my schooling years and understand your comments.

    But, I am sending my eldest off to the State Primary next year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely post, Thea. I'm sorry I missed it (I've been so busy and absent from the online world lately)!

    You know what? I don't think there is such thing as a 'Good Catholic'. I know a lot of Catholics, and I don't know any who are. We all have our faults and some of us choose to take different things from our religion (as I do), and I think that's okay.

    I think it's the community of the Church that makes it such a great experience. Yep - it needs changes, but essentially, all the ingredients are there.

    xxx

    ReplyDelete

Just one little comment will make my day.