Pages

Sunday, October 28, 2012

Facing My Fears

I'm a naturally shy person.
I don't like to try new things.
No, it's more than that.
I get totally freaked out by doing something new.
I worry, I stress, I make myself sick, I think of a million reasons to pike.
And all because I'm afraid of the unknown.

At the beginning of this year I agreed to participate in a team for the Relay for Life.
One of my mum's group friends was getting a team together and twisted the arms of me and my fellow mum's group friends.

I'm very sorry now to say that I said yes begrudgingly.
Not because I didn't think it was a great thing to do, but because I was...

scared

I've been scared of doing something new my whole life.

But yesterday and last night I faced my fears.
I braved it out.
I walked...for a good awesome cause!

And do I feel good?
Hell yeah!!

It was the most amazing event.
It was family friendly, friend friendly, stranger friendly.
There were members of my team I hadn't met until yesterday.
But knowing we were all there for the same reason, not just our team of 15 but the collective teams totalling 430 people, made for a simply magical atmosphere.

And nothing was more magical nor emotional than the candle lighting ceremony.
Each of us lit a candle, mine was for my dear Grandma who we lost just over two years ago to cancer.

When I first agreed to do this walk I didn't even realize I was doing it for her.
But I knew it last night.
Every step was for Grandma.
Two hours in the rain.
Twenty-eight laps.
Almost 12kms.
That was nothing compared to what some of my other team members did!
I was sodden, cold, and elated that I was part of an event that raised over $50 000 dollars for cancer research.

I faced my fears.
I stood up and showed them who was boss!

And you know what?
It may just have been the best thing I have ever done.





10 comments:

  1. My boys did this a couple of weeks ago in Bundaberg. Gotta confess there were many teary moments for me - tears shed for many special family members. A worthy event for the funds it raises, the emotions/memories expressed, and the determined hope.

    Well done you. I'll be on a team next year. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, we were all teary too.
      So glad to hear you want to join in next year.
      I can't wait to do it again! :)

      Delete
  2. Wow Thea, 2 hours in the rain! I must admit that although it has been cold when we do ours in June, it has never rained so far. I'm so glad your first Relay experience has been a great one; it is such a worthwhile cause. There were too many people's names written on my candle bag--too many people I know who were affected by cancer.

    As for facing your fears, don't you just love it when you put yourself outside your comfort zone and you just do it?! I find myself doing that more and more since I hit my 40s.

    Well done you! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, it hadn't rained for months, then just as the candle lighting ceremony began, so did the rain and it rained all night!!

      I'm hoping this helped me realize not to be so afraid of everything. I'd love to be braver!!

      Thanks Shelly. xx

      Delete
  3. I absolutely love the 'Relay For Life'.
    Intensely emotional, exhausting - and beautiful.
    Well done for stepping out of your comfort zone.
    :-) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! Yes it certainly is all of those things.
      I'm hooked, dying to do it again next year! xx

      Delete
  4. Well done - for both doing some so worthwhile and for facing up to your worst fears to do it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well done Thea! What a fantastic effort for an amazing cause. You should feel VERY proud of yourself... love the photos, you looked gorgeous! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much!! I did feel very proud and can't wait to do it again. :)

      Delete

Just one little comment will make my day.