Pages

Thursday, January 14, 2010

I Can't Let Go

Do you have an item in your wardrobe that you are so attached to you just can't let it go, even though it is well past it's use by date?

I do.  It's a t-shirt.  It is old and almost threadbare.  It has faded, stretched, threads hanging from it, the hem has come down, it has bleached spots and I wore it when I coloured my hair this week (and you know only your oldest, daggiest items of clothing are reserved for that special event!).  I only wear it at home or in the yard when I'm quite sure no one will be visiting.  But it is comfortable and easy and I will keep wearing it and washing it until it falls apart.




It was given to me by Secret Santa when I was teaching I'm not sure how many years ago, but I do know it was more than ten.  We'd always find out at the staff Christmas Party who our Secret Santa was, and this particular year mine was the hippest, coolest, trendiest, most popular, young female teacher at our school.  Her dream was to be an actor and in her spare time she was studying drama and acting in small theatre plays in Brisbane.  We weren't friends exactly but we were friendly.  We'd often sit at the same table in the staffroom.  She was the 'it' girl.  So I was stoked when I found out my present was from her.  I even remember her words, "I bought that for you because you are enjoying your gym so much."  I'd lost about 5kgs in that year and was the fittest I'd ever been as I'd joined a gym earlier in the year.

Every time I wear it I still think of Melissa.  And I'm willing to bet she has totally forgotten that she ever bought that t-shirt for me.  I haven't seen nor heard anything about her for years.  I wonder where she is now.  I also wonder if I've touched anyone's life by doing or saying something that I have totally forgotten about.

5 comments:

  1. Old t-shirts are the the most comfy (I couldn't spell comfiest..comfyest.. bah!) so I'm glad I'm not the only one who can't let go of certain clothing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh so comfy. You will cry when it actually does FALL APART!!! I have a pair of trackie dacks that are 2 sizes too big and I can't let them go. What else will I wear when I am feeling fat and daggy? hmm? txxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I blogged about some jeans that I just can't throw out. I bought them at Witchery when my 2nd son was quite young. They were my first hipsters, which I found uncomfy at first, and now I can't imagine going back to waisted jeans!

    They started to get a little hole, and now the hole is HUGE! But I still wear them. Mostly on "cleaning days" and the like. They are just so comfy.

    I have a friend I always think about and wonder how she is, but have no idea how to find her. We haven't seen each other in about 26 years....

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally understand this post! I wrote one only the other week about my favourite shoes I couldn't bear to part with. They were disgusting but I let go and threw them out.

    Funny thing is I haven't once until right now thinking of them noticed they are gone!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I get this, I have a fave too, I've had it since 1994!

    ReplyDelete

Just one little comment will make my day.